Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary
HEADING TO POST-SECONDARY? OUR BURSARY CAN HELP!
We’re proud to offer a bursary program for young people under 20. We know the teen years are when mental health and substance use problems often show up for the first time, and that this not only gets in the way of life, but also your school and career goals.
The Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary honours the legacy of Janice Lee, an 18-year-old who struggled with depression and anxiety for six years and took her own life in 2006. The following year, Blue Wave was created by her family to help break the silence around mental illness in teens and to provide support earlier. The vision of the Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary program is to invest in the resilience, wisdom, and potential of young people and to reduce some of the barriers during the major transition from high school to higher education.
Three $700 awards are available in 2018.
The 2018 application period is now closed. All applicants will be notified of the Review Panel’s decision in August 2018.
Am I eligible?
You’re eligible if you:
- Have experienced a significant mental health or substance use problem and are accessing treatment and support
- Can demonstrate financial need
- Are under the age of 20 at the time you apply
- Have lived in BC for at least a year from the date of your application
- Are not enrolling or enrolled in a government-sponsored job training program
- Will be enrolled in first year studies at a recognized BC university, college, or technical institute by January 1 of the year after you are applying.
What else should I know?
- Distance learning is permitted as long as the institution is an accredited BC post-secondary institution
- The bursary award is only applicable toward a semester’s worth of tuition, books, and mandatory course supplies or equipment, which is paid directly to the institution identified in the application
- Applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. PDT on June 30, 2018
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted (submissions received by mail or fax will be disqualified)
- Incomplete applications will have points deducted or be disqualified
- Applications with attachments that are longer than requested (e.g., reference letters longer than one page each) will have points deducted or be disqualified
- Applications that provide more documentation than requested (e.g., more than two reference letters) will have points deducted or be disqualified
- Applicants awarded a bursary who are unable to confirm enrolment by January 1, 2019 will be asked to provide additional documentation to support their extenuating circumstances
- Changes to recipients’ course or program between the time of award notification and the beginning of the course or program must be discussed with the selection committee in order to remain eligible for the original application
- The recipients’ given names and a brief outline of their educational / career goals will appear in CMHA communications, including our websites, e-newsletters, and annual report, any of which may be indexed by search engines
- We will only use applicants’ contact information for the purpose of eligibility, to communicate about the status of the application, or to subscribe them to e-newsletter mailing lists at their request
- The selection committee will evaluate all submissions that meet these requirements
- The decisions of the committee are final
- By signing the online application form you agree to these conditions
How do I apply?
1. Read the eligibility information and guidelines carefully.
2. Fill out the online application form (one page long). Among other questions you will be asked to submit:
- A 300-word letter
- A cost estimate for one semester (i.e., three to four months) from the institution’s website or course calendar (one page maximum, or access to a URL)
- Two letters of reference from non-family members, such as a teacher, principal, counsellor, clinician, employer, or community member (maximum one page per letter)
Thank you for your interest in the Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary program!