Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary
HEADING TO POST-SECONDARY? OUR BURSARY CAN HELP!
We’re proud to offer a bursary program for young people under 20. We know the teen years are when mental health and substance use problems often show up for the first time, and that this not only gets in the way of life, but also your school and career goals.
The Janice Lee Blue Wave Bursary honours the legacy of Janice Lee, an 18-year-old who struggled with depression and anxiety for six years and took her own life in 2006. The following year, Blue Wave was created by her family to help break the silence around mental illness in teens and to provide support earlier. The vision of the Janice Lee Blue Wave bursary program is to invest in the resilience, wisdom and potential of young people and to reduce some of the barriers during the major transition from high school to higher education.
Awards are $750 per recipient, depending on the year.
The 2016 deadline has now closed. Please check back next spring for the application link.
During 2015-2017 the bursary program will be sponsored by Face the World Foundation in honour of Glenn McPherson. You can find out more about Face the World and Glenn McPherson here.
Am I eligible?
You’re eligible if you:
- Have experienced a significant mental health or substance use problem and are accessing treatment and support
- Can demonstrate financial need
- Are under the age of 20 at the time you apply
- Have lived in BC for at least a year from the date of your application
- Are not enrolling in a government-sponsored job training program
- Will be enrolled in first year studies at a recognized BC university, college or technical school by January 1 of the year after you are applying.
What else should I know?
- Courses by distance education are allowed as long as the institution is an accredited BC post-secondary institution
- The bursary award only covers a semester’s worth of tuition, books and mandatory course supplies or equipment that is paid to the institution (Generic school supplies or anything bought off-campus are ineligible expenses)
- The bursary is sent directly to the post-secondary institution identified in the application
- Each bursary award will be no more than the stated award amount; in rare cases, an award may be issued that is less than the stated award amount if a winning applicant’s course expenses are documented as being less than this amount
- Incomplete applications will have points deducted or be disqualified
- Applications with attachments that are longer than requested (e.g., reference letters longer than 1 page each) will have points deducted or be disqualified
- Applications that provide more documentation than requested (e.g., more than two reference letters, other background not asked for) will have points deducted or be disqualified
- Applications must be received by 11:59pm PDT on the day of the deadline
- The winners’ first names and a brief outline of their educational/career goals will appear in CMHA communications such as our websites, e-newsletters, and annual report, any of which may be indexed by search engines
- We will only use applicants’ contact information for the purpose of eligibility and to communicate about the status of the application
- The selection committee will evaluate all submissions that meet the requirements
- The decisions of the committee are final
- By signing the online application form you agree to these conditions.
How do I apply?
1. Read the eligibility information and guidelines carefully.
2. Fill out the online application form (1 page long – available in the Spring). Among other questions you will be asked to submit:
- A 300-word letter
- A cost estimate for 1 semester from the institution’s website or course calendar (max 1 page uploaded, or a URL provided)
- 2 letters of reference from non-family members (e.g., teacher, principal, counselor, clinician, employer, community member) (max 1 page, each letter, uploaded)
If you have any questions about the bursary, or problems filling out the application form, you can email email@example.com
The application process for 2016 is now closed.
Thank you for your interest in our bursary!